Tawang is also known as the birthplace of the Dalai Lama that is located at an elevation of 3048 m and is popular for its natural significance and the profound Buddhist culture. You will come across wonderful tourist places like the orchid sanctuary and the Tipi Orchid sanctuary.
The most favorable time to visit Tawang for a holiday is during the months from March to September as it is a great escape during summer months. The winters are too cold in Tawang because of which you will experience snowfall in a temperature that ranges from 1 to 3 degrees celsius.
Also Visit - Tourist Places in North East India
How to reach Tawang conveniently?
If you choose a flight, then you will land at the nearest airport that is in Tezpur (143km away) or the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport in Guwahati that is 166 km away. The nearest railway station is in Tezpur and if you wish to reach Tawang on road, then you can hire a cab or also travel on a bus from Tezpur that is well connected on road.
Places to visit in Tawang
1. Tawang Monastery is also known as the Golden Namgyal Lhatse that is one of the most sought tourist attractions in Tawang. It is elevated at a height of 3000 m above the sea level and also popularly regarded as the second largest monastery in the world and the first in Lhasa.
2. Madhuri Lake is known to be the most remote lake in the country, which is also known as Sangetsar. It is famous for the rocky mountains and the breathtaking beauty that it has to offer to its tourists.
3. Nuranang Falls is another ecstatic thing to witness amidst the natural significance in Tawang. It is a 100 ft waterfall that is 80 km away from Tawang known for its natural landscapes and attractive environs.
4. Tawang War Memorial is a 40 ft tall structure that is colorful and dedicated to the martyrs of the Sino-India War of 1962. It lies amidst the beautiful peaks of the mighty Himalayas from where you can also witness the Tawang-Chu valley.
5. Gorichen Peak is the highest in Arunachal Pradesh that is located between the Tawang and West Kameng districts of Arunachal Pradesh. It is located at an elevation of 22,500 ft above the sea level and is 164 km away from Tawang.