Kollam is known to be the gateway to the backwaters of Kerala that is covered with beautiful natural landscapes that are located exactly 70 km away from Thiruvananthapuram where the cashew industry is the most popular. Since the times of history, you will be coming across the place as a huge trading center for spices and also one of the oldest ports in the Arabian Sea that lies on the Southwest coast, along the Alappuzha route.
Kollam is blessed with a tropical coastal climate where the temperature ranges between 20 to 30 degrees with rainfalls in the months from October to December followed by thunderstorms. Winter is the best time to visit the place to attain the best transfers and sightseeing without spoiling the tour to several places falling in the way.
Places to visit in Kollam
1. Thevalli Palace: The Thevalli Palace is situated on the banks of the Ashtamude Lake that had once served as the home to the Maharaja of Travancoe=re, under the rule Gauri Parvati. This place that is located 4 km away from the city center is a huge historical important place in the country, in general.
2. Amritapuri: Located 26 km away from the city center, you will come across the various disciples of Amma's monastic home with a worldwide vision. It is believed that she is the one who pushes away all the worries, fear, and offers new directions to the lives of many visiting the same.
3. Jatayu Earth's Center: After a drive of 28 km from the city, you will be meeting the Jatayu Nature Park that is basically rock-themed in the Kollam district of Kerala. It holds huge historical importance since the mythological time, thus making it a tourist center with a lot of adventurous activities like paintball, laser tag, archery, bouldering, rock climbing, air-rifle shooting etc.
4. Punalur: Known as the town of water, Punalur is the place where the river Kallada flows which makes it known as the lap of the Western Ghats because of the natural beauty offred immensely to the tourists since the 19th century.
List of Fairs and Festivals in Kollam
- Craft's Festival
- Ashtami Rohini
- Boat Races
- Kollam Puram
- Oachirakali Festival
Tourist Places to visit in Kollam
- Palaruvi Waterfalls
- Mahatma Gandhi Beach and Park
- Ashtamudi Lake
- Thirumullavaram Beach
- Police Museum
- Thevalli Palace
- Shenduruny Wildlife Sanctuary
- Neendakara Port
- Kottukkal Cave Temple
- Maha Vishnu Temple
- Pullichira Church
- Rameshwara Temple
- Jatayu Para
For more information on Kollam tourism and holiday packages to kerala contact Swan Tours or call 011 23415601.