Being the second largest lake in Kerala, Ashtamudi is situated in the Kollam dsistrict that is 16 km in elongation, that successfully covers 30% of Kollam.
Visit Ashtamudi Lake
Ashtamudi basically means 8 branches (namely, Hevally Lake, Kandachira Lake, Kureepuzha Lake, Thekkumbagham Lake, Kallada Lake, Perumon Lake, Kumbalathu Lake, and Kanjirottu Lake) in the local language that means that the lake has eight branches meeting with the Arabian Sea. You will be carried away by the beauty of the lush green coconut trees, palms, beautiful lakes that also offer fishing and boating.
Book Kerala pacakge with Swan Tours at best price.
Amazing places to visit in Ashtamudi
1. Punalur: Located at a distance of 38 km away from the city, Punalur is known as the town of water in the lap of the Western Ghats. It is amazingly beautiful for natural significance, plywood, pineapples, pepper, timber and so on. Another exotic reason that brings you here is the suspension bridge along with the bio-reserve known as Agasthyamalai.
2. Palaruvi: This is the beautiful and admirable waterfall that you can watch out in this location, 61 km away from the place on the Shencottah Road at an elevation of 300 ft.
3. Karunagappally: If you head to a distance of 20 km away from the city center, you will be witnessing Karunagappally in the Kollam district of Kerala that is an attractive town and famous among the tourists. What stays unique about the place is the houseboat facility in Alumkadavu.
4. Mayyanad: This is a popular place for both Hindus and Muslims located 9 km away from Kollam town. This place is dedicated to Lord Subramaniam Temple and also the old mosque including some of the most beautiful churches holding emphasis for the Christians.
5. Ashtamudi Lake: Located 9 km away in the Kollam district, Ashtamudi Lake is the most popular backwater and lake in the state which has a large water body amidst the unique wetland ecosystem. This contributes to the gateway of backwaters of Kerala that is the state well known for apart from houseboats and resorts.