The weather in Sri Lanka’s is rather complicated for such a small country. This is because of the fact that the island is affected by two separate monsoons, the presence of which will play a factor in deciding when to go to. On the bright side, this means that there is generally great weather condition somewhere on the island at a lot of times of the year.
When thinking about the very best time to visit Sri Lanka, it deserves bearing in mind that the basic pattern for weather condition in Sri Lanka as described listed below can vary substantially from year to year. It’s likewise a reality that global warming has interrupted these already complex weather patterns.
Weather Highlights of Sri Lanka
- Colombo, Sri Lanka latitude & longitude; 6°54’N 79°52’E.
- Altitude; 7 m (23 ft.).
- The average temperature in Sri Lanka is 27.0 °C (81 °F).
- The range of average monthly temperatures is 2 °C.
- The warmest average max/ high temperature is 31 °C (88 °F) in February, March, April & May.
- The coolest average min/ low temperature is 22 °C (72 °F) in January & February.
- Sri Lanka receives on average 2397 mm (94.4 in) of precipitation annually or 200 mm (7.9 in) each month.
- On balance there are 188 days every year on which more than 0.1 mm (0.004 in) of precipitation (rain, sleet, snow or hail) occurs or 16 days on an ordinary month. The month with the driest weather condition is January when on balance 88 mm (3.5 in) of rain, sleet, hail or snow falls across 8 days.
- The month with the wettest climate is October when on equilibrium 354 mm (13.9 in) of rainfall, sleet, hail or snow drops throughout 21 days.
- Mean relative humidity for an ordinary year is recorded as 79.8% as well as on a regular monthly basis it ranges from 75% in January to 83% in October.
Suggested Read:- 5 Amazing Wildlife National Park in Sri Lanka
Best Time to Visit Sri Lanka
November to March
The principal tourist season in Sri Lanka is during November to March when it is the dry season for the South Western and Southern coastal areas and the Central Highlands. November through to March is additionally the months when most foreign tourists check out the island, most of them running away the European winter. During Christmas approximately the New Year which is one of the main holiday seasons, holiday accommodation rates in a lot of traveler resorts struck the highest levels around the island in view of the sharp boom of inward traffic of visitors into the island. Advance reservations of resort spaces throughout this duration are extremely recommended.
April to September
The additional traveler season that spans from April to September are the suitable months to tour the old cities of the North Central Plains and also the Eastern Coast.
July to August
July/ August are the time of the Kandy Esala Perahera, the 10-day festival kept in tribute to the sacred Tooth Relic of the Buddha, as well as additionally the moment of the Kataragama Event in the South. In both communities, accommodation prior to, during and right away after the events is extremely hard to find by. Rates could skyrocket to dual or still higher. The tourists who visit to arrive in Sri Lanka during this period are recommended to make bookings of resort areas well beforehand.
For more information on weather in Sri Lanka, best time to visit Sri Lanka and holiday packages to Sri Lanka contact Swan Tours or call 011 23415601.